Alright people, look alive — this one is exciting.
My Problem: No dining room. No outdoor furniture. Small outdoor “patio.” Left over dining table and chairs from previous apartment, which was much bigger (but also less glamourous – and if you know me, I basically ooze glamour.)
My Solution: Waterproof that shiz!
Well if there ever was going to be a simple tutorial this is it…
SUPPLIES – Murphy’s Soap, Wilco’s Teak Oil, sandpaper, paper towels, rags, Waterproofing Finish, and item to be waterproofed
Step (1) sand any trouble spots– I started with a cheap, plain wooden IKEA table that had been bumped and bruised a bit over the years, so I only sanded those spots that needed a little love. ONLY SAND IN THE DIRECTION OF THE GRAIN. YES, I AM YELLING, and NO, I WONT STOP UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND THE SEVERITY OF THIS STATEMENT.
Step (2) clean — I used Murphy’s Oil Soap, because it is the best, but feel free to use a lesser soap if you like being less awesome. Try to get any little wood dust from the sanding and make it a fresh base for our next steps.
Step (3) rub oil all over it — I used Wilco’s Teak Oil, which you need to be very careful with, but looks super duper beautiful. Basic rule is to obviously follow the directions on whatever oil treatment you use, but here I simply took a rag covered in the oil and rubbed it on pretty generously. Allow for this to sit for about ten minutes then rub off any access. Depending on how much came off, consider doing a second coat. The chairs only really wanted to drink up one coat and the table was a bit more thirsty and took two. Generally, when you rub off the excess, if you have a lot come off, you were probably generous enough with the first coat and don’t need a second. Naturally, the reverse is true, if you don’t have much rub off go ahead and do a second coat and repeat until your furniture appears to not be soaking up much more.
Step (4) waterproof — once your furniture feels dry and your excess oil has been rubbed off, use a waterproofing sealant to lock in all that hard work and beauty. Be careful when purchasing a waterproofing finish, as most are tinted, for the look I wanted I selected a transparent solution because I wanted the color of the table to remain unchanged. I used Behr’s transparent waterproof stain. Mostly because I haven’t had horrible luck with Behr and it was the smallest available can. It worked great and am very happy with how it turned out.
Unfortunately I didn’t take before pictures, mostly because I thought it would look the same, but afterwords I was kicking myself because the oil step really made the table shine and just look yummy.
Here are some after photos – yay! Now come over, we will eat dinner, outside, whilst watching the sun set over the ocean! Sorry to be such a snooty-puss about my view, but I still can’t get over it. Too bad that Jenny’s legs are too short for her to see the view, she has no idea why we moved into this little box.
In other news, last week, about a couple weeks in, at 3 AM in the morning Alex and I were woken up by what sounded like raccoons fighting. We run to the door, look outside, and there, in the pond right outside our door, were three soaking wet real-life RACCOONS…. FIGHTING. It was pretty fascinating, but very loud so Alex told them to “get outtahar!”
In other, other news, I have primed the bedroom and living room and bought my paint. Only took me about a month to prime, at this rate all the projects I have planned for the place will take me approximately seven years. I suppose that highlights one pro about the apartment being barely bigger than 500 sq ft… at least there is only potential for about 500 sq ft of projects.
More photos and posts to come, lovelies.