We just got back from a nice long weekend with my folks in WA, which we lovingly referred to as Christmasgiving or Thanksmas. I love being with my family, they are incredible, and now both Alex and I feel very fat and happy. Mostly fat.
As we didn’t spend thanksgiving with them and we will be spending the actual Christmas holiday with Alex’s family, we decided to combine a mock-thanksgiving, aka enormous amounts of eating, with some gift-giving. The food was delicious and my parents are epic heroes of Christmas – mostly my mom, she is seriously the holiday champion.
Here are a few of the amazing gifts I was given this year, in case anyone is still looking for some last minute gift ideas for their lovies:
- Steve Madden clutch. I wouldn’t normally consider myself a Steve Madden sort of lady, but look at this bag! I am in love. A little black, a little brownish pleather, a little gold. If a bag could define me or my style it might be this one
- Makeup Brushes by Ecotools. So I really needed this (somehow a mother always knows) – I have a horrid habit of using my fingers as my only means of makeup application – it’s ok, I disgust myself too. It isn’t that I like to get foundation all over my hands and ultimately on everything I happen to touch, but more that I get annoyed with most brushes. Many don’t apply makeup like I want them to or will suck up half the product making things run out much faster, which = $$$. These though, are magical. 100 points for Mom! I feel like a little girl who finally shaved her legs for the first time without cutting herself. I am a grown up! A grown up with makeup brushes! Hooray!
- Infinity Scarf from H&M. I know these are really “in” right now, but I am totally jumping on that bandwagon. I kinda hate all norm-y scarfs now. Honestly, it gets windy enough here that the ends were always flying around and driving me insane. This happens no more. And this infinity is a lovely, crocheted little ivory number. It’s like a snuggy for my neck!
- Military Jacket from Nordstrom– this one is from my (RAD) sister. She works at Nordstrom, which I am now finding is SUPER amazing. I have been dreaming of the perfect military jacket for a while now, and finally it is mine. Alex has already made fun of me because I don’t think I have truly taken it off, except for shower-time, since I got it on Saturday. This will surely be a new staple in my attire.
- Urban Outfitters Soap Dispensers. I know, super exciting. But really, they are. They look like little modern white penguins. We got one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. Maybe these little guys will help kick-start some brainstorming for the redo each of these spaces?
- H&M Gold Bangles. Simple but lovely, these little bangles will probably be on my arm daily – the only variation being whether 3, 9, or 20 are stacked.
- Lip Balm by Maybelline. I have always used ChapStick but my devotion has really been out of laziness rather than true love (sorry ChapStick). It is quite often, unless I have a great recommendation on a product, I just go with the brand I know and don’t waste the energy or money finding the perfect one. And now with lip balm I don’t even have to, because the perfect one was gifted to me. This loud packaging holds some good stuff, and with SPF 20, it helps my lips stay soft while avoiding any burning/drying/cracking. The other great thing is that it doesn’t create any sort of film on your teeth. I don’t know what it was about ChapStick, it did the trick, but after a few minutes of talking/eating/breathing, I felt like I had a little waxy film on my front teeth. The ChapStick would sneak in there and have a slip and slide party on my pearly whites and I didn’t like it. I am pretty anti-ChapStick-teeth-slip-and-slide-parties.
So, in summary, don’t be surprised if you see me wearing the outfit below, basically every day of 2013. Does anyone else ever wish they could be like Doug Funny and have a closet full of the same outfit or a uniform from time to time?
Items not listed above:
1 – Weird hat I found at my parents house, they had two so I “borrowed” one, permanently. It doesn’t have a tag and I have no idea where it is from. Sorry, Charlie.
2. Black Tank Top from Old Navy. They only cost, at least they did when I was there and because of this they basically are my source for tanks.
3. Belt from Forever 21. It was only $3, FACT. I don’t even care if it breaks tomorrow… because it only cost $3.
4. Shoes from Bass. I don’t usually shop here, but I happened to be here with someone else buying a pair of shoes during a TWO-FOR-ONE sale. And they have quickly become my favorite shoes. They are really well-made and make me sound like a horsey when I am going down stairs.
5. Black Skinny Jeans from Forever 21. I think they cost $15 and are pretty amazing. I wear them way too much for being cheap pants. They will probably start to disintegrate soon but even after wearing them just one day, I think I got my moneys worth.
Please also note that I am atrocious at dressing myself. This is also why I want to wear the above outfit, daily – I may have found one outfit, finally that kinda, sorta actually works. Most of the time, I just feel like an awkward pre-teen who doesn’t know how to pick clothes for her changing body, except that I am 24 and should have this stuff figured out by now. If I had lots of money I would hire someone to do my shopping and styling for me, but until then, I will continue to be like a big question-mark walking down the street. Well, a big question-mark with one good outfit.
Thank you again Mom, Dad, and Sis! Love you to the sky and back, infinity and beyond.