Tutorial time you sexy minxes!
I recently spent months looking through local Craigslist ads for a couch, and after checking out a couple, we finally found a really nice, black, leather sofa with a chaise. When we got it there were a couple of buttons missing off the tufts, which I assumed would be an easy item to repair. This was a fair assumption (go me!):
Replacing buttons on tufted furniture/adding tufts to furniture cushions
Long embroidary neeedle
An episode of Mad Men
1. Start your episode of Mad Men.
2. Measure out 9 forearm lengths of your thread. Line up the two ends of the thread and the fold in the end of the thread. This should make a length with four strings of thread. Thread the needle with the four strings. Loop it through and tie the eight strings together at the end. This eight strings will allow for a tight hold between the top button and bottom button.
3. Pull the thread so that the needle is near the tied end of your thread. Hook the button at the opposite end of the thread. Pull your needle through the cushion from the top of the cushion to the back, being careful to try to keep perpendicular to the cushion to make for a straight line for the thread.
4. Once pulled through tightly attach the back button. Cut the thread near the needle and take the two sections of four strings. Loop one over and through the other to make a simple knot. Pull as tightly as you can and repeat. Loop one set of the strings around the back button five times and repeat the knot process.
5. From there you can trim the excess length in the strings and boom, your tufted.
If you are adding tufts where it was previously tuft-less, you have a ton of options – tufting patterns are pretty much endless. And by endless I mean there are, like, at least three options:
Simply mark the underside of your cushion with a fabric pencil where you would like the tufts to go and follow the steps above. If you are reupholstering a piece entirely, the fabric component complicates things a bit and it might be a little while before I climb that mountain.. sorry if I am disappointing anyone that was looking for that level of tuft-y magic..
In other news.. HOLY GLEE FINALE, Batman! Way to totally make my little heart smile and reaffirm my love for Finn. (In a strictly show/character sort of way. No offense Mr. Hudson, but my husband is way hotter and 18 is a little young for me.)